Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Slipery Slope

Some years ago I decided to take the epic mountain bike journey up to Daniels summit through the Strawberry reservoir area and back to Spanish Fork. It was a four day journey fully loaded with all the gear it takes to ride the trails and sleep under the stars. Riding the trail on the north side of Deer Creek Reservoir I had a great view from the mountain slopes; watching mule deer graze and the counless geese taking a rest from their long migratory journey south. After riding this nine mile trail I then hit the pavement for the long uphill trek through Heber and up hwy 40 to Daniels summit. The plan was to stop somewhere before reaching the summit and make camp. However, being determind to be ahead of schedule I pushed myself harder and reached the summit just as the sun went behind the mountain. I then had the thought, "I have 30 minutes of light left", still motivated to be ahead of schedule and knowing that ahead of me is a long downhill I decided that I could make it to the ranger station before I lost all light  and with confedence of the downhill speed ahead of me I jumped on my bike ignored my fatigue, donned determination and headed for the ranger station. During this great decent the weather begain to changed. It had started raining and shortly after that, the rain was carrying a little ice in those hard stinging droplets. Still determined, I pushed through the harsh circumstances and travling with great downhill speed combined with the absents of hard peddling, my body tempeture began to drop. It wasn't long before the freezing cold had me shaking uncotrolably. At the speed I was travling I decided that this was no longer safe to continue. I puled over to the next posible clearing and in the icy rain I began to try to get control of my shivering body to set up my tent. I remember reflecting on my preperations. I debated on bringing the extra tarp because of weight. However, I remembered the prohets council, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear". With those words coming in lowd and clear I brought the extra tarp. After setting up my tent I secured the extra tarp over the top of the tent and hunkard down safe and warm for the night.  It rained all night long nonstop. I was woken a few times during the night by lightning and the sound of thunder. The prophets voice kept comming to me, "if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear", and like a beautiful lullaby it put me right back to sleep. 

I awoke the next morning to the end of the sound of rain hitting my tarp. The smell was as fresh as my attitude as I was looking forward to the new days challenges. I hopped on my bike and finnished my downhill to Strawberry reservoir and soon met a difficult ascent to Strawberry ridge. Because of the rain the mud was thick and I had to stop frequently to clear the mud off of my tires. The clay was caking on so bad it would render my tires unable to move. I had to stop periodicly to clear the mud from my tires with the many sticks provided by nature.

 More so today than ever before the proverbial mud in a sinful world is caking on our tires as we push foreward in our sacred journey. We have been given many tools to help us. Much greater than a stick in the mud we especialy have been given the atonement and have been comanded by the Savior Jesus Christ to partake of the sacrament often. How blessed are we this day to have this wonderful priveledge. It is important to periodicly stop and ponder the covenants we have made. It reminds us not only to clean off the mud that can stop our forward progression but to avoid the mud altogether. 

In my journey I was now falling behind schedule because of the mud. Despite the mud I was still able to reached Strawberry Ridge. The view there is spectacular. Behind me I can see Strawberry reservoir, in front, I can see the misty clouds with mountain peaks shooting through them. To the left is my path, the begining of seemingly endless miles of single track nearly leading the whole way back home. The trail was amazing. Mostly downhill with occasional uphills to get over the mountain passes. Comming up was a very large uphill. I could see it in the distance. Like before I would try to gain my speed to carry me up the hardest part of the uphill. The momentum carried me about half way when I began to put my foot to the pedal. This methed that had worked so beautifully before. However, once again my forward progression had halted.

The traction of my tires failed because of the long nights rain. The clay on the trail had become so saturated with water on this mountain that this part of my journey had became an impassable slippery slope. My bike gave way and I slid down the mountain past the begining of the slope and off a cliff. Hanging on to a root in one hand and my bike and gear in the other hand kept me from falling into a raging waterway created by the rain. 


With everything I had I lifted my bike to the top and then myself. I knew I would need everything to get off the mountain. Exhausted, I layed there in the mud conteplating what just happend and what next? I resolved that I would push my bike up this slipery slope. Securing everything together again I began my ascent pushing my bike up the slippery slope and it was working fine until I arrived at the same point that I slipped the last time. Down I went again in the same fashion once again hanging on to a root. I don't know were I found the strength but I lifted my bike and myself again to the mud at the top of the cliff. This time more exhausted I layed there pondering what I was to do? This time dispair was setting in. I even resolved the exeptance of the damnation of my journey. Just maybe if I stayed the night there it might resolve the next day. But, a still small voice said, "did not Moses cross the red sea on dry ground?", Did not the Savior walk on water and comand his disciple to do the same? There in the mud I remembered the root that had saved me twice. I went to my knees and repented of my dark thoughts. I secured all things again and begain my ascent. I could not help but focus on the spot that I had fell twice before as I put my foot on it I looked up at what was ahead of me and I passed as if this  abominable trap was not there. 

The Lord will move a mountain if it needs be. He has not set us on this great journey to fail. But, rather to grow. May your journey be difficult and marvelous and may God show you his love on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Sea of Timpanogos: Where Jesus Walked?

  The Sea of Galilee also known today as Lake Tiberius Laguna de los Timpanogos, today known as Utah Lake Naming a body of water is a big de...